Saturday, 30 April 2011

Gerry Ryan - R.I.P -1 Year

I remember the day Gerry Ryan died, seems like only yesterday, my nan rang and told me and mam. We didnt't believe her so we turned on the rado. My nana was right, Gerry had died. They weren't telling us much about how he died, just that he was found in his home. It was the year I sat my leaving cert. I remember it hitting my mam, she was a avid listener of Gerry. She cried. I remember them saying things about him on the tv and radio, and the eerie silence that over took the island or Ireland. I cried. I remember the silence that cosumed the radio. Everyone just could't believe he was gone. I remember listening to stories about him on the radio, one sticks out in my mind, it was a man talking about his father "I remember every evening coming home and sitting at dinner, asking my father how his best friend was, tonight I saw my father cry for the first time in years. R.I.P Gerry." That story sticks in my head, it makes my stomach spin, but not in excitment or sickness, but the deep sadness (to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment